Article submitted by Christa Pitt
I first arrived in PNG last year April.  Before coming here, I made enquiries as to taking Malaria precaution meds or not and was told that it was not necessary.   With my luck I got Malaria exactly 3 weeks after my arrival and in the highest degree.  As I have never had Malaria before, the symptoms scared me to death…..I was totally paralized.  At the same time I also had bronchitis for the first time.   It took some time getting over this, but I pulled through.

Now, exactly a year later, I felt those same symptoms attacking my body.  Because the Malaria medication  made me so sick the first time around, I decided not to take anything and just stay in bed.  This was a huge mistake as again I got Bronchitis and then infection of the lungs and before I knew, I was too weak to get up to go and see a Doctor.   The morning of the 4th day in bed, my husband went looking for a Doctor who would be willing to see me at home.  I woke up with a strange noise, almost like someone was struggeling to get upstairs.  Then this strange man on crutches walked into my bedroom and told me that he came as quickly as he could.  Here this Doctor who is still healing from a hip operation, forced himself to climb a flight of stairs to come and help me.  This was like an angel sent by God!

Thank you Doctor Garap for the wonderful man you are.  Your humility and love for the gift you have been blessed with, touched me deeply!  I pray that you will heal and recover fully after your hip operation so that you can continue to heal others.  May you be blessed!

Let’s all  try to stop critisizing and complaining about what we don’t have and start counting our blessings for what we do have.    See the positive and ignore the negative.

Thank you to all the PNGeans who have become my wantoks!

Christa Pitt

Lae Explorers Update
Lae Explorers have a very busy year ahead of them this year, and it has already kicked off to a good start.  Easter was spent in Goroka, kicking back and cooling off in the highlands air and checking out the Goroka scene.

Up that way coffee is important, so we followed the coffee trail.  We began with a visit to a coffee buyer in Goroka town.  This is an agent that buys from the growers and does the first steps of the process to your cup.  Namely cleaning and drying, sorting and packing, then exporting.  We did a tour of the factory and were enlightened by Billy who runs the factory on the various issues that affect the process, specifically untimely picking and slow delivery to the factory, meaning the beans can degrade and begin the fermentation process.  This is the result mainly of small pockets of growers not having enough quantity of beans to send out regularly and of course the effect of the environment in which the beans are grown; the isolation and lack of transport that impact on the promptness of delivery.

We learnt of the need to educate the growers on the importance of the timing of the picking of the beans.  Too green or too ripe and they are either second rate or no good at all.


From this point we went backwards and with the aid of Rob from New Tribes Mission we were welcomed to a local village to experience picking the beans ourselves and to see the first steps taken with the beans in the village environment.  To get to Lapilo village we had to cross the river.  This was waist deep and fairly strongly flowing, and we got the choice of wading or using a gumi.  Many of us opted to do both, cross one way on a gumi and wade it the other way.  Cheers to Eli and our second youngest explorer Hannah, who were old hands at the gumi by the end of the day.


The village was fantastic at keeping us amused, and we were fed as well.  We had the privilege of participating in preparing the Mambu, from cleaning up thegreens to cooking the kaukau and bamboo tubes over the fire, and then to enjoy the end result of a very nicely flavoured chicken and rice meal.


Goroka is not just known for coffee, but for the famous mud men as well.  On another day we all trooped out to Asaro village and were treated to a mud man performance and display of local crafts.  Everyone enjoyed this unusual experience and we pretty much all came away with purchases from the “gift shop”.

And of course, part of the excitement of the trip is the drive, which went smoothly if bumpily.  How is that for an oxymoron!  But I know you all know what I mean.ated to a mud man performance and display of local crafts.  Everyone enjoyed this unusual experience and we pretty much all came away with purchases from the “gift shop”.Last weekend was a shorter trip up to Kainantu for lunch at the Kainantu Hotel.  Every Sunday they do a barbeque.  We were unfortunate to arrive when they already had a near full house, and even though we had advised of our intention to participate earlier in the week, I guess they can only prepare so much.  But they manfully worked on feeding us all, and in the end they did quite well.  Let’s face it, we can wait a long time for a meal here in Lae too………  We also stopped in at the pottery and let people see what is available close to home in the way of artefacts and rugs and pots.Next trip is to Bulolo, if you are interested and don’t know anything about us, give Shelley Knox a ring on 72063949 and check out what we have coming up.